Monday 25 October 2010

Tip Top Toronto Part 1 - Bus Ride #1

I've just returned from a wonderful week in the fantastic city that is Toronto. My principal reason for being there was to see the North American premiere of my favourite musical 'Priscilla Queen of The Desert' but I also combined this with seeing the sights of the capital of Ontario and also a trip to see Niagara Falls.

Toronto is where Priscilla is performing it's 'out of town' try out ahead of transferring to Broadway in February 2011. I saw is many times (26) in London and became a massive fan and admirer of it's star Tony Sheldon and when he left the UK production I vowed to follow his career and see him perform again, whether that be in another metamorphosis of Priscilla or in different role. Fortunately for me (and a lot of other fans) he was asked to do the Broadway production which means he continues in the role of Bernadette, a character he has been playing since the musical opened in Australia in 2006.

I saw 5 performances while in Toronto and the show was better than ever. A lot of changes have taken place between London and Canada but they just serve to make the piece sharper, funnier, fresher and more thought provoking then ever! It was an amazing experience seeing the show and Tony again and it was made even more special by meeting some of the incredibly talented new cast and being able to dance on stage at the Princess of Wales Theatre.

I am in now in a serious post-holiday funk and I am trying to think of every get-rich-quick scheme going to try and generate some cash so I can purchase some more golden (or should that be salmonella surprise) tickets for a show that makes me happier than anything I've ever known but while I am sad that my holiday is over and I miss the show and Tony a lot I am thankful and grateful for the experience and smile every time I bring the memories to mind. Now all I have to do is squirrel away my cash and save as hard as I can so I can see Priscilla and Tony on Broadway and see this magnificent show take the Great White Way by storm!!

Now, as any good tourist does I took quite a few photographs during my trip and I have selected a few (ha!) to decorate my blog with. If you're still awake or alive by the end of this I hope that you have enjoyed my trip down memory lane, up large towers and through quite a few gallons of thundering water!


My adventure began at Glasgow Airport

Upon arrival at my hotel I got my first papery glimpse of Priscilla


My pre- show brekkie thanks to Tim Hortons. The food of the Gods (well if Gods eat donuts)


Trying not to cry while thinking I can't believe I am here at last!!


This was taken on Sunday evening (17 October). Having seen my first 2 performances of the new Priscilla I left the Princess of Wales Theatre dancing on air and danced straight round to the Stage Door to see the great man himself. (Technically I had seen him for the first time that afternoon when he very kindly came down to the Stage Door to see me after the matinee but this was when I got another photograph to add to my 'me with Tony Sheldon A.K.A my hero' collection). I had waited 7 months to see Tony perform again and I think my toothpaste ad smile speaks volumes!





No comments:

Post a Comment