Friday 22 March 2013

Priscilla





When I felt pretty desperate & life was really bad 
something appeared that gave me a feeling I'd never had
it made me feel uplifted & like I'd found my place
I permanently walked around with a smile upon my face

The message of acceptance spoke to me loud & clear
I'd never felt that I belonged & had often lived in fear
I'd been bullied & berated since I was very young
I'd had no friends, was lonely & not had any fun

Then I heard a certain show was heading to this land
I'd wanted to see it for so long & a trip was quickly planned. 
I travelled down to London town with my Mam in tow
we headed to the Palace & sat in the back row

The overture blasted out & Divas started to descend
I sat open mouthed & overcome until the very end
as soon as the curtain came down & I collected up my things
I felt like I was floating or I'd suddenly sprouted wings

I could not believe what I'd just seen or what I had heard
I was so excited & happy I didn't utter a single word
the spectacle I'd witnessed exceeded every dream & hope
& I knew right then & there Priscilla would help me cope

As soon as I returned home another ticket was swiftly booked
I needed to see the show again I knew that I was hooked.
my travels became a regular thing & London a new haunt
twice a month I'd catch a train to head out on another jaunt

The wonders I saw on the stage took me far away
from the problems & the pain I felt every single day
the time spent in the theatre went by so very fast
but the happy blissful feelings for days on end would last

I discovered I could meet the cast & ask for autographs
I met new friends while at stage door & had so many laughs
then 2 months after first seeing him I finally met the star
to get the same euphoric buzz would cost millions in a bar  

I shook with nerves, my mouth went dry, I gabbled such a lot
I gifted him a teddy bear, he was thrilled with what he got
he shook my hand & posed for a pic before he said goodbye
I knew right from that moment he was a such a special guy

My new pals & I saw the show many times until it ended
after my last trip I thought my heart could not be mended
The next day I received something that gave me such a lift
a wonderful correspondence began which I still see as a gift

Emails are exchanged discussing topics of all sorts
& news both good & bad is shared along with our thoughts
I never thought he'd keep in touch with someone like me
but every time a message appears I'm filled with joy & glee

In 2010 I travelled to Toronto with my Dad
& when our week was over I felt so very sad
it was wonderful to see the lovely Sheldy once again
I'd travelled 3000 miles he probably thought I was insane

In 2011 the bus arrived on the Great White Way
I booked tickets & began a countdown to the day 
I'd decided to adventure to New York all by myself
the closer my departure got I questioned my mental health

But once I arrived & settled in & found my way around
I knew I'd be ok in the city I felt so safe & sound.
I couldn't wait to see my friend's big picture in Times Square
he looked so very glamorous from his heels to his blonde hair

I spent so many hours sitting staring up above
at the pretty lights & huge marquee & felt such love
Seeing my hero strut his stuff on a Broadway stage
filled me with tremendous pride, amounts too high to gauge

His journey aboard the big pink bus is well & truly finished
but the memories of his journey can never be diminished
he’s now performing other roles & working very hard
& lives in the Big Apple thanks to his deserved green card

I hope I'll get to see the man I respect & greatly admire
upon another stage sometime soon it's something I desire
until that day I hope we can remain in close contact
there is no other person who can follow his extraordinary act

To others it's just a musical but my first instincts were right
Priscilla's kept me smiling through many a bad day & night
to the writers & creators & everyone involved
I cannot thank them all enough for how my life's evolved

When I thought life was over & I’d lost faith in all I knew
my spirit & my self esteem were saved by 1 bus & 1 shoe
so to those who feel as lost as I & don't know how to carry on
just listen to Priscilla's score & dance and sing along!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment