Thursday 21 March 2013

Dad

My Dad looks like a biker and people think he's tough
But really he's a softie who's had it pretty rough.
Although he has a temper he doesn't lose his head,
and he has a lot of knowledge as he is so well read.

He hasn't got certificates, degrees or PHDs,
but he can turn his hand and brain to any job he sees.
He's always ready with advice if anyone does ask,
his friends and family know that he will help with any task.

He's done some things throughout his life of which he isn't proud,
he's ranted, shouted, cursed and raved - he's known for being loud.
But behind every heated argument on topics of all sorts,
are results of self education - his opinions, ideas and thoughts. 

My Dad and I haven't always been close or even got along,
but over recent years we've worked on a bond now strong.
I know he's always there for me to guide and help me through,
And I hope he knows that I will always be there for him too.

Life's dealt him knocks and gave him more than his fair of woe,
but somehow he has found the strength to continue with the show.
And now he faces quite a fight with a tumour in his willy, 
but if cancer thinks it can beat my Dad then it is really silly.  

He's shown me things and places of which others can only dream,
and he has cautioned me that things aren't always as they seem
People think they know him but he's often misunderstood,
if only they'd open their eyes and see the bad side and the good.

Sometimes he drives me crazy with things he does and says,
but he's the person I turn to when I'm confused and in a daze.
I call him my "Daddy Bear" but he is far from grizzly,
look at the list of lucky daughters and at the top you’ll see me.




No comments:

Post a Comment